Administered by the Special Collections Division of the Akron-Summit County Public Library, Summit Memory would not be possible without the contributions of the partner institutions.
County of Summit
Formed in 1840, the County of Summit covers an area of 412.8 square miles, originally a portion of the Connecticut Western Reserve. The County was named for the Portage Summit, the highest point along the Ohio and Erie Canal. Twenty-two cities and villages, as well as nine townships are located in the County. According to the 2010 Census, Summit County has a population of 541,781, making it the fourth most populous of the 88 counties in Ohio. With more than 150 Fortune 500 companies, the three-county Greater Akron region is a magnet for jobs and investment in Northeastern Ohio, and is well known for its tire and rubber heritage. Significant contributors to the growing economic diversity of the County include the fields of medicine and biomedicine, polymers and energy. The County is also home to world-class research center the University of Akron and quality-of-life attractions such as the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
Portage Lakes Historical Society
Portage Lakes Historical Society was founded in 1978 to preserve the unique history of the area. The Portage Lakes area includes Coventry and Franklin Townships as well as the City of Green in Summit County. The society sponsors several events throughout the year. For more information please contact the Historical Society at P.O. Box 19172 Akron, OH 44319.
The Lighter-Than-Air Society (LTAS) is an international organization headquartered in Akron, Ohio. Founded in 1952, this not-for-profit institution has established the National Lighter-Than-Air Historical Center which promotes the history, preservation and education regarding buoyant flight technology including the vital airship business activity which made Akron a world renowned producer of airships. The LTAS assists or provides education on buoyant flight through conduits ranging from museum exhibits, publications and media productions including public television and documentaries. The Society also has an extensive archival, artifact and library collection.
Munroe Falls Historical Society
The Munroe Falls Historical Society is a non-profit organization founded in 1976 to preserve and perpetuate the history of Munroe Falls. The Historical Society maintains its office, historical museum, and local history library in a 19th century historic house at 83 Munroe Falls Avenue. The museum is open to the public from 2-4 p.m. on the third Sunday of each month (except January, July, and August) The Society meets the second Thursday of the month during February, March, April, May, June, September, October and November. The local history room is open to the public for the purpose of making local history materials accessible to individuals seeking information about Munroe Falls and surrounding communities. For more information contact: email@example.com
Hudson Library & Historical Society
The 100 year old Hudson Library & Historical Society in Hudson, Ohio is committed to providing access to information, assisting in the preservation of community history and providing genealogical and historical resources to the public. Our five year old facility is located at 96 Library Street in Hudson, Ohio. The historical society, located in the archives department on the second floor of the building, collects and maintains artifacts, photographs, books and other materials of historical and genealogical significance to the community. Furthermore, this research-based collection also contains a strong Ohio genealogy collection as well as a northern Ohio history collection. The holdings of the archives department include many manuscript collections from Hudson area families and community organizations as well as several community record groups. The John Brown Manuscript collection is one of the more significant collections in the United States about this famed abolitionist and native son. For more information, visit us online or contact us by telephone 330-653-6658 ext. 1017, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Archival Services, University Libraries, The University of Akron
Archival Services, a division of University Libraries at The University of Akron, collects, preserves, and provides access to primary and secondary source materials that document the history of The University of Akron and the region. Archival Services consists of two major divisions: University Archives and Special Collections. University Archives contains historical records of The University of Akron and its predecessor institutions from its founding in 1870 to the present time. Special Collections consists of the rare book collection, regional history collections, and other special collections. Regional history collections include historical materials such as personal papers and records of local businesses and organizations. Strengths of the regional history collections include the rubber industry, Ohio canals, and lighter-than-air flight. Archival Services also serves as a local government records repository for a nine county region, which includes Summit, Ashland, Holmes, Coshocton, Portage, Richland, Stark, Tuscarawas, and Wayne counties. Archival Services is open to the public 8am to 5pm Monday thru Friday and is located in the lower level of the Polsky Building in downtown Akron, Ohio. Please visit our website for further information at www.uakron.edu/ul/archives.
Rubber Division of the American Chemical Society
The Rubber Division, ACS originated as the India Rubber Section of the American Chemical Society in 1909, achieving Division status in 1919 and incorporating in 1963. The Rubber Division is one of 34 divisions of the American Chemical Society. It has been headquartered in Akron, Ohio since 1909. The Division is composed of 19 subdivisions called Rubber Groups located throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. The mission of the Rubber Division is to enhance science, technology and business across the evolving elastomeric community.
University Libraries, University of Akron
Named for Civil-War era General Lucius Bierce, whose personal library constituted the first collection of the University Libraries, Bierce Library opened in its present four-story facility on Buchtel Common in 1973. Within this library are resources and services that support the humanities, fine and applied arts, social sciences, and business. The University of Akron Libraries are the essential information service supporting the University's mission of teaching, research, outreach, and service. The libraries foster intellectual inquisitiveness and promote equitable access to information, services, and facilities that lead to effective teaching, study, reflection and learning.
Alumni Association of Akron City Hospital School of Nursing
The Alumni Association was established in 1905, a short 10 years after the first two nurses graduated the nursing program of the then City Hospital of Akron. It was established to care for the nurses when ill, to raise the standards of the school, and promote fellowship between the members. Although the Akron City Hospital Idabelle Firestone School of Nursing (renamed in 1975) closed its doors in 1989, the Alumni Association continues to promote and provide opportunities for nursing education and professional advancement. Endowed Scholarships have been established at the University of Akron, Kent State University, Ashland University, and Malone College. The Alumni Association hosts a tea and dinner each June for all the graduates who are able to attend to honor the graduates of the 50 year class. The Historical Committee of the Alumni Association meets year round to collect and preserve memorabilia of the school and hospital. The committee also maintains a small museum in the Nurses Home at 41 Arch Street, Akron OH.
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
Stan Hywet Hall is one of the finest examples of Tudor Revival architecture in America. The 65-room country mansion sits on 70 acres of artfully landscaped gardens and grounds. Stan Hywet Hall (Old English for "Stone Quarry") was built between 1912 and 1915 by early industrialist and Goodyear co-founder F.A. Seiberling and his wife, Gertrude. In 1957, the Seiberling family donated Stan Hywet to a non-profit organization so that the public could enjoy and experience a noteworthy chapter in American history. Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens is dedicated to the preservation, restoration and interpretation of the F. A. Seiberling family legacy. Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens is Akron’s only National Historic Landmark and Save America’s Treasures project. It is accredited by the American Association of Museums.
Archives of the History of American Psychology
Established in 1965 at The University of Akron, The Archives of the History of American Psychology (AHAP) actively acquires, preserves and provides access to primary sources and rare materials that support the teaching and research of the complete historical record of psychology. Our mission is to stimulate, inform, and educate researchers, visitors, and the public about the science and practice of psychology, and to encourage research in the history of psychology. Central to this mission is the preservation of personal papers, artifacts, and media that tell the story of psychology in America. As the largest repository of its kind in the world and an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, the AHAP provides the public with increased awareness and education of the diverse and changing roles psychology has played in contributing to advances in science and practice. Collections consist of personal manuscript collections, artifacts, photographs, monographs, psychological tests, and audiovisual materials. We are located on the lower level of the Polsky Building in downtown Akron, Ohio. Please visit our website for further information: www.uakron.edu/ahap.
Barberton Public Library
The Barberton Public Library is an independent library serving the residents of Barberton since 1903. The library provides access to diverse cultural, recreational and informational resources in a welcoming community environment. Programs for all ages, meeting rooms and access to a wide range of materials are just part of the resources available at the library. Dedicated to the preservation of Barberton’s history, the Barberton Public Library Local History Room collects and maintains artifacts, photographs, books and other materials of historical and genealogical significance to the community. The Local History Room serves as both a research collection and museum, displaying a number of artifacts that represent the people, places and events of historic Barberton. Located on the lower level of the library, the Local History Room is open 12-5:30 pm Monday through Friday and the second Saturday of the month. Guided tours are also available by appointment, 330-745-1194.
Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society
The Historical Society began in 1979 and was incorporated as a non-profit organization in 1980. Once housed in a small room on the third floor of the Quirk Cultural Center, the museum moved to its current location, 2083 Cook Street, in 2007. The Historical Society preserves the history of Cuyahoga Falls through its collections and promotes interest in that history through its programs. The museum is open every Monday from 8 am to noon and the third Sunday of every month from 2 pm - 4 pm. For more information please call 330.929.1765.
Akron Metro RTA
METRO is the public transportation provider for Summit County Ohio and Our Doors Open Opportunity! We transport more than six million passengers annually to work, to school, to medical appointmens and to some of the best places in town.
METRO is funded by federal and state sources as well as a local sales tax, and governed by a 12 member Board of Trustees.
Cascade Locks Park Association
The mission of the Cascade Locks Park Association (CLPA) is to preserve, protect and promote the industrial, commercial and cultural heritage of the Cascade Locks Park along locks 10-16 of the Ohio & Erie Canal. A busy and densely packed valley in its heyday, this area once housed an iron foundry, a furniture factory, a distillery, several grist mills, and two rubber plants - all within a one half mile stretch of the canal. Today, CLPA is developing the area as an industrial heritage park. The entire Cascade Locks Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of the Interior in 1992.
Summit County Historical Society
Founded in 1924, the mission of the Summit County Historical Society, a member supported 501(c)3 corporation, is to preserve and interpret the history of Summit County and Akron, and to educate regional communities about the people and events that have shaped our rich history. In addition to owning and managing the Simon Perkins Stone Mansion, the home of Akron’s founding family; the John Brown House, home of the internationally recognized abolitionist; and the Old Stone School in downtown Akron, the Society protects our local history by preserving thousands of artifacts, books, photographs, and documents. We also create interactive programs for children and adults, helping to bring history alive again.
Akron-Summit County Public Library
The Akron-Summit County Public Library (ASCPL) provides resources for learning and leisure, information services, meeting spaces, and programs for all ages that support, improve, and enrich individual, family, and community life. Hosting more than 3 million visitors and serving more than 300,000 card holders in 2006, the Library is an active member of the Summit County Community. The Business & Government, Science & Technology, and Special Collections Divisions at the Main Library are contributors to the project.