Search results for
Akron-Summit County Public Library
Refine your search
Seiberling, John F
Kuebler, Joseph E
Pflueger, Ernest F
page 5 of 250 : (
add to favorites
Cave in the Gorge- Cuyahoga Falls
Cuyahoga Falls; The Gorge; Caves; Parks; Hiking trails
The Gorge contains many caves and waterfalls. In the 1890s, as today, it was a popular destination for leisure time activities. Currently managed by Metro Parks, Serving Summit County, the Gorge offers...
Tower in Akron Rural Cemetery
Akron; Akron Rural Cemetery; Cemeteries; Tower
The Bell Tower in Akron Rural Cemetery, now known as Glendale Cemetery, was designed in 1883 by Akron architect, F. O. Weary. It is symbolic of immortality, truth, and a Christian refuge for sinners. It...
On A. & C. F. Rapid Transit Railway at Silver Lake
Akron; A. & C. F. Rapid Transit; Railroads; Silver Lake; Lakes and Ponds; Parks
The Akron and Cuyahoga Falls Rapid Transit Company built a rail line to Silver Lake Park, a popular summer resort in the 1880s. The construction of this line created a fierce competition between Thomas...
Akron; Union Depot; Railroads; Buildings; Landmarks
This Union Depot, built in 1891, was a long awaited replacement for the old union depot at Mill and Summit, erected in 1852. The new depot was built on the Bates homestead on East Market Street and served...
First Universalist Church
Akron; First Universalist Church; Churches
The first Universalist Church was built in 1879 on the northwest corner of Broadway and Mill at a cost of $40,000. (Art Work of Akron, Ohio. pt. 1 pg. 4)
View on Akron, Bedford & Cleveland Electric Line
Akron; Akron, Bedford & Cleveland Electric Line; Railroads; Bridges; Transportation
The Akron, Bedford and Cleveland Electric Line, commonly known as the Alphabet Railroad or as the A. B. & C., was the first long distance electric railway in the world. The line was completed on November...
View in Akron Rural Cemetery
Akron; Akron Rural Cemetery; Cemeteries; Rivers
The Akron Rural Cemetery is located on Glendale Avenue. When the cemetery was established in 1839, it was meant to serve both the dead and the living by providing a place for people where "retiring from...
Akron; Bryan School; Schools
Bryan School was built in 1896 and served Akron as a school until it was decomissioned in 1978. The school was named after Judge Constant Bryan, a promoter of public schooling in early Akron. He was also...
Akron; Henry School; Schools
Henry School, on the corner of North Forge and Arch Streets served as one of Akron's grade schools. Closed in 1978, it was named after Milton W. Henry, a prominent merchant of early Akron. Henry served...
Akron; Buchtel College; University of Akron; Akron Universalist Church
The members of the Universalist Church voted in 1867 to found a school where their children could be taught by teachers who subscribed to their faith. In 1870, they made an announcement that the school...
Snap Shot On C. A. & C. Railway
Akron; C.A. & C. Railroad; Trains; Railroads
The Cleveland, Akron & Columbus Railway was orignally known as the Cleveland, Akron & Zanesville Railroad because when it was finished on July 4, 1852, the rail did not yet reach Columbus. On July 5th,...
Cuyahoga Falls; Rivers; Waterfalls; Parks; Cuyahoga River
At this point of the Cuyahoga River, the water plunges downward through a chasm, providing an excellent source of water power. In 1825, William Wetmore and Roger Newberry began developing the land along...
Akron; City Building; Buildings
The first City Building (City Hall) was located on the southwest corner of Main and Quarry (later known as Bowery) Streets. The brick building cost $30,000 in 1881. The City Council chambers were on the...
Grand Opera House
Akron; Grand Opera House; Theaters; Landmarks
The Grand Opera House was built by Wilson G. Robinson, a theatre manager, after the Academy of Music, Akron's only opera house, burned down on July 18, 1897. He bought an abandoned factory at 34 N. Main...
In the Glen- Cuyahoga Falls
Akron; Cuyahoga Falls; Rivers; Glen, Akron (park); Bridges
The suspension bridge can be seen in the foreground of this image, and the High Bridge in background. Both bridges cross the Cuyahoga River near the High Bridge Glens Park in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. (Art...
Scene on Cuyahoga River
Akron; Cuyahoga River; Rivers; Bridges
A bridge spans the Cuyahoga River in Summit County, Ohio. (Art Work of Akron, Ohio. pt. 9 pg. 1)
View on Cuyahoga River
Akron; Cuyahoga River; Bridges; Rivers;
A bridge, likely for trains, spans the Cuyahoga River in Summit County Ohio. (Art Work of Akron, Ohio. pt. 3 pg. 2)
Akron; Akron City Hospital; Hospitals
Several of the city's wealthy citizens banded together in the early 1890s and gathered enough funds to buy and convert the East Market Street home of Dr. S. W. Bartges into the first city hospital. The...
First Congregational Church
Akron; First Congregational Church; Churches
Dedicated in 1868, this building was the third to be occupied by First Congregational Church. Although partially destroyed by fire on February 2, 1881, it was rebuilt and enlarged at the cost of about...
Akron; Hotel Buchtel; Hotels; Buildings; Streets and Roads
Opened on April 16, 1884 the Buchtel Hotel was the leading hotel in the city for 28 years. Built by William Buchtel for $100,000, construction was completed in the spring of 1884. The hotel was five stories...
add to favorites
page 5 of 250 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^