Search results for
Refine your search
Goodyear Tire & Rubber...
Lakes and Ponds
Silvas Studio, 283 Sou...
Kuebler, Joseph E
page 1 of 5 : (
add to favorites
Church of Our Savior
Postcards; Church of Our Savior; Crosby Street; Akron; Buildings;
The auditorium of the Marvin Memorial Parish House at the Church of Our Savior on Crosby Street in Akron, Ohio.
St. Hedwig's Graduating Class, 1930
St. Hedwig's Church; St. Hedwig's School; Catholic Churches;
This image shows the 1930 graduating class of St. Hedwig's parish school in Akron, Ohio. The Cleveland Diocese of the Catholic Church established the parish to serve the polish immigrant community in Akron...
Graduation at St. Hedwig's, 1935
St. Hedwig's Church; children; Catholic Churches;
This image shows students from St. Hedwig's parish school in Akron, Ohio in 1935. The Cleveland Diocese of the Catholic Church established the parish to serve the polish immigrant community in Akron in...
Scene on Cuyahoga River
Akron; Cuyahoga River; Rivers; Bridges
A bridge spans the Cuyahoga River in Summit County, Ohio. (Art Work of Akron, Ohio. pt. 9 pg. 1)
View on Cuyahoga River
Akron; Cuyahoga River; Bridges; Rivers;
A bridge, likely for trains, spans the Cuyahoga River in Summit County Ohio. (Art Work of Akron, Ohio. pt. 3 pg. 2)
Akron; Summit Lake; Lakes and Ponds; Portage Lakes
A natural lake, Summit Lake existed before the glacial age. It is located on the Continental Divide, meaning that its waters flow north to the Great Lakes and south toward the Gulf of Mexico. When the...
Akron; Long Lake; Lakes and Ponds; Amusement Parks; Portage Lakes
A summer resort on the Portage Lakes, Long Lake boasted a park directed by A. B. Tinker. It offered a hotel, boat liveries, fishing, swimming and dancing. There was no rail or street car service to Long...
South Balch Street
Akron; South Balch Street; Streets and Roads; Houses
A view of South Balch Street in West Akron. Many of these orginal homes exist today. Akron's first Jewish Center, built in 1929, was first located on Balch Street near Maple. Now owned by the City of Akron,...
Adolph Avenue; Akron; Streets and Roads; Houses
Adolph Avenue, located between East Market Street and Perkins Street, was home to some of Akron's wealthier residents. George D. Bates, mayor of Akron in 1864, was one of the residents of the street. (Art...
Cuyahoga Falls; Rivers; Waterfalls; Parks; Cuyahoga River
At this point of the Cuyahoga River, the water plunges downward through a chasm, providing an excellent source of water power. In 1825, William Wetmore and Roger Newberry began developing the land along...
Akron; Bryan School; Schools
Bryan School was built in 1896 and served Akron as a school until it was decomissioned in 1978. The school was named after Judge Constant Bryan, a promoter of public schooling in early Akron. He was also...
View on the Canal
Akron; Canals; Rivers
Built in the 1820s and 1830s, canals brought tremendous growth to Summit County. The decline of the canal system began in 1856 as railroad lines began to replace the canals as the primary means for travel...
Akron; Crosby School; Schools
Crosby School, in Akon's Third Ward, was originally built in 1877 as an eight room school house. Significantly expanded in 1890s, it stood on the corner of Smith and West Street. It was named in honor...
First Congregational Church
Akron; First Congregational Church; Churches
Dedicated in 1868, this building was the third to be occupied by First Congregational Church. Although partially destroyed by fire on February 2, 1881, it was rebuilt and enlarged at the cost of about...
View on Akron & Cuyahoga Falls Rapid Transit Railway
Akron; Akron & Cuyahoga Falls Rapid Transit; Railroads; Streetcars and Trolleys
Due to the many valleys and ridges over which the Akron & Cuyahoga Falls Rapid Tranist Railway crossed, it was commonly called the Mountain Line. The line was built by Thomas F. Walsh of Cuyahoga Falls,...
Akron; Fir Street; Streets and Roads
Fir Street, between Market Street and Buchtel, was home to many of Akron's prominent residents. In 1898, some of the families living on Fir Street were the Tibballs, Howers, Christys, and Merrills. The...
In Grace Park
Akron; Grace Park; Parks
Grace Park was named in honor of Mrs. Grace Tod Perkins, wife of Colonel Simon Perkins, who donated the land for the park. A wooden fence was added in December 1848. In 1875 the city purchased some of...
Akron; Henry School; Schools
Henry School, on the corner of North Forge and Arch Streets served as one of Akron's grade schools. Closed in 1978, it was named after Milton W. Henry, a prominent merchant of early Akron. Henry served...
Akron; Howard Street; Streets and Roads; Parades
Home to banks and merchants, Howard Street was Akron's main roadway in the 19th century. It was the first street paved in Akron, Ohio in 1868. The paving contract was won by Julius Sumner. (Art Work of...
Akron; Howe School; Schools; Ohio and Erie Canal
Howe School, on the corner of South Bowery, Bartges, and St. Clair Streets served as one of Akron's grade schools. Closed in 1972, the school was named after Captain Richard Howe, one of the resident engineers...
add to favorites
page 1 of 5 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^