The General Tire Company headquarters on General Street, off Interstate 76, in Akron, Ohio. This picture was taken before the 300,000 square foot building was demolished. The land was purchased by the City of Akron for industrial development. The General Tire Company was founded in 1915 by William F. O'Neil. To open the business, William took a loan from his father, Michael O'Neil, owner of the popular O'Neil's Department Store. In 1987, the company was sold to Continental AG of Germany. In 1994, Continental General moved its headquarters from Akron to Charlotte, N.C.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. This material from the picture file is protected by the copyright law. The library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship or research. Reproduction, alteration or derivative use of this visual image for the purposes other than those listed above without the express written permission of the copyright holder may constitute an infringement of copyright law.