The first Summit County Court House was constructed in 1843 on a hill called the "Gore" between North and South Akron. Former President John Quincy Adams was in town and gave an impromptu twenty-minute dedication speech. The building was remodeled and expanded in 1867 and torn down in 1905.
A drawing based on this image appears on page 105 of Samuel Lane's Fifty Years and over of Akron and Summit County.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. This material from the picture file is protected by the copyright law. The library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship or research. Reproduction, alteration or derivative use of this visual image for the purposes other than those listed above without the express written permission of the copyright holder may constitute an infringement of copyright law.