In 1861, twenty-three German-speaking families of St. Vincent de Paul's church split off and formed St. Bernard's Catholic Church. A new church building was constructed at the northeast corner of Broadway and Center Streets in 1863. St. Bernard's Catholic school was established in the basement of the church in 1865. Continued growth led to the construction of this four-story brick building at the southwest corner. The cost of the new building was about $35,000.
A drawing based on this image appears on page 148 of Samuel Lane's Fifty Years and over of Akron and Summit County.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. This material from the picture file is protected by the copyright law. The library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship or research. Reproduction, alteration or derivative use of this visual image for the purposes other than those listed above without the express written permission of the copyright holder may constitute an infringement of copyright law.