Teenage boys and girls sitting at a table during the Oy Vay Ball at the Akron Jewish Center in Akron, Ohio. The Oy Vay Ball was one of many fund-raising events held during 1947 when bankruptcy threatened to close the Akron Jewish Center building.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. This material from the picture file is protected by the copyright law. The library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship or research. Reproduction, alteration or derivative use of this visual image for the purposes other than those listed above without the express written permission of the copyright holder may constitute an infringement of copyright law.
In September 1929, the Akron Jewish Center (AJC) opened on 220 South Balch Street. The Akron Jewish Center hosted social clubs, special events, sports tournaments, religious schools, camps, and theater groups. In 1973, the Akron Jewish Center moved to a larger property on White Pond Drive and was renamed the Jerry Shaw Jewish Community Center. The Shaw JCC continues to provide quality programs and services based on Jewish values.