Once located in the vicinity of Hines Hines Hill Road and state route 91, this home was the Hines family homestead. The farm comprised of 17 acres and the last known family members to reside here were Florence Farrar Hines Shiley (1875-1970) and her spouse, Frank Shiley (1869-1955). Florence's father, Charles C. Hines (1841-1930), was born here and later served as a Summit County commissioner for many years. Florence's grandfather, Jehiel (sometimes referred to as "Hial") (1800-1894), came to Hudson and built the core of this structure in 1828. Sadly, the home is now a thing of the past and no longer exists.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
This material from the picture file is protected by the copyright law. The library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship or research. Reproduction, alteration or derivative use of this visual image for the purposes other than those listed above without the express written permission of the copyright holder may constitute an infringement of copyright law.
William Moos (1919-1984) was a painter, architect and beloved arts and crafts teacher. He also directed the art department at Western Reserve Academy in Hudson, Ohio. Mr. Moos was reared in St. Cloud, Minnesota, and studied architecture at St. John's College and Yale University. He later practiced architecture in New York City and worked as a field engineer and interior designer before coming to the academy in 1945. He was responsible for the design work for the restoration of Western Reserve Academy's Chapel and Christ Church Episcopal in Hudson, Ohio. He had a keen sense of historic preservation of buildings and served as a founding member of the Hudson Heritage Association. Later in life he also served as a lobbyist for the American Civil Liberties Union.