Front of postcard: THE JOHN BROWN HOME. For many years it was the home of Mrs. May Adams Perkins (Mrs. Charles E. Perkins) who bequeathed it to The Summit County Historical Society in December, 1942. Back of postcard: THE JOHN BROWN HOME. Built in 1835 by Colonel Simon Perkins, son of the Founder of Akron. For two years, 1844-45, John Brown occupied the house on the southwest corner of Diagonal and Copley Roads - now known as the John Brown Home - while engaged in the sheep and wool business with Colonel Simon Perkins. It is now a historic museum, open to the public.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
The John Brown house on Perkins Hill at Copley and Diagonal roads in Akron, Ohio. From 1844 to 1846, John Brown and his family lived in this house while working with Simon Perkins, Jr. in the wool trade. The house is now owned and operated by the Summit County Historical Society.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. This material from the picture file is protected by the copyright law. The library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship or research. Reproduction, alteration or derivative use of this visual image for the purposes other than those listed above without the express written permission of the copyright holder may constitute an infringement of copyright law.