The institution now known as The University of Akron was founded as Buchtel College in 1870 by the Ohio Universalist Convention, and industrialist John R. Buchtel, who donated thirty-one thousand dollars to its construction. In 1913, due to financial problems, ownership of the college was transferred to the City of Akron and its name was changed to the University of Akron. Today the University of Akron has grown to 80 buildings, and enrollment is over 25,000 students.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. This material from the picture file is protected by the copyright law. The library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship or research. Reproduction, alteration or derivative use of this visual image for the purposes other than those listed above without the express written permission of the copyright holder may constitute an infringement of copyright law.