The Cleveland, Akron & Columbus Railway was orignally known as the Cleveland, Akron & Zanesville Railroad because when it was finished on July 4, 1852, the rail did not yet reach Columbus. On July 5th, opening day of the railway, free rides were given back and forth to Hudson. Over 2,000 people took advantage of the chance to ride the train. The engine, a woodburner that pulled the train at the amazing speed of 25 mph, was named the Vulcan. Later that summer, more tracks were laid and the rail connected to the Ohio & Pennsylvania Railroad, connecting Akron to Columbus and Cincinnati. After several name changes, the line finally became known, in 1880, as the Cleveland, Akron & Columbus Railway. (Art Work of Akron, Ohio. pt. 5 pg. 6)
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. This material from the picture file is protected by the copyright law. The library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship or research. Reproduction, alteration or derivative use of this visual image for the purposes other than those listed above without the express written permission of the copyright holder may constitute an infringement of copyright law.