The U.S.S. Akron, the first of two rigid airships built for the U.S. Navy by the Goodyear Zeppelin Corporation takes flight from Akron, Ohio for the final time. Flown for the first time on September 23, 1931 and put through its paces in 9 trial flights, here the “Akron” is seen moments after her Commanding Officer-Lieutenant Commander Charles E. Rosendahl gave the order “Up Ship” signaling her to be cast off from the mooring mast on October 21, 1931 for her journey to her permanent base in Lakehurst, New Jersey.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
No reproductions are available - The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. This material from the picture file is protected by the copyright law. The library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship or research. Reproduction, alteration or derivative use of this visual image for the purposes other than those listed above without the express written permission of the copyright holder may constitute an infringement of copyright law.